Scripture Readings: Exodus 24:3-8 Hebrews 9:11-15 Matthew 14:12-16, 22-26
On this Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ, we are reminded that we are the Body of Christ. How many times have we said this – “We are the Body of Christ?”
How many times have we sung this – “We are the Body of Christ?”
Every time we approach this Altar to receive the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ under the appearances of bread/hosts and wine, our AMEN, as well as our open hands to receive the Lord, affirms our faith in the Eucharistic Body of Christ.
Whether we realize it or not, we are called to become what we receive. We are called to be the Body of Christ as person, family and parish 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
This past week, my secretary received an e-mail that I asked she forward to me. The e-mail was from a person who asked that they be removed from St. Mary’s Parish membership… The reason, “the Catholic Church has way too long not served as Jesus wanted.”
This e-mail got me thinking about our role as the Body of Christ here at St. Mary’s, Crescent as parishioners. Could it be that we, the Body of Christ… we the people of St. Mary’s Church, Crescent need to refocus? There is no doubt that St. Mary’s, Crescent and the people of the parish do much that truly continues making the love, care, life, hope, forgiveness, and so much more of what Jesus wants to be shared in our time and place.
But, I also have to wonder if all of us, not some of us, but all of us who are parishioners of St. Mary’s, Crescent make the connections of everyday life and everyday parish life with the call to SERVE as Jesus wanted and as Jesus calls us to SERVE.
What is the witness we give? Again, not just some of us, but all of us, at least more and more of us over time?
Consider the witness we give to others, family, friends, neighbors, class mates, co-workers, strangers, and even fellow parishioners:
- When we give to assist those in need of food by our food donations.
- When we assist with the sharing of faith with our children as a Faith Formation teacher.
- When we offer an encouraging word, a compliment, a helping hand, a few moments to listen.
- When we support our Parish each week with a monetary gift.
That supports the EFFORTS to bring Jesus to people of our Parish and beyond.
- When we all come to understand the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that our Annual Bishop’s Appeal gift accomplishes in the year to come, in our Diocese of Albany.
- When we gather at Mass each week to be nourished by the Word of God and the Body of Blood of Christ for work in the vineyard of Waterford, NY and beyond.
- When we realize that I, that each of us, have something not only good, but something of God to offer, to share with another, with others…and do so!
Hopefully we have not forgotten that the Eucharist we receive is truly Jesus, is truly the Body and Blood of Jesus. And we, the Body of Christ, are meant to bring the REAL JESUS, the Body and Blood Jesus to one another and others daily.
Hopefully, I will be begin to receive more and more e-mails from people seeking to join St. Mary’s Parish, Crescent because they continue to see, they continue to experience “Jesus” in the FLESH through each of us, all of us who bring the REAL JESUS to others through their lives of faith, hope and love daily, as person, families and Parish Community.